Saturday, September 4, 2010

First few days in Rome

It's been a whirlwind first few days in Rome. I've already made it to the Colosseum, (and back in one piece), seen some ancient ruins, and walked about 600 miles. Rome is a big city, it makes Boston seem quaint and cozy so getting around can sometimes take awhile. It's especially difficult when I have only been here for 72 hours, have no prior knowledge of the city, and speak no Italian. But that's all part of the experience, and I'm having a great time so far. I've noticed a few things too. While walking down the street, some Italians will look at us Americans with a look somewhere between confusion and disgust, but, if you ask them for directions, they are the most helpful people I have ever met. Also, they enjoy if I at least try to use Italian.

Other than my initial impressions of the culture, some friends and I found a restaurant that gives college students a 3 course meal, with a glass of wine, for 10 euros. The university gave us the info and coupon we but we still spent  about 4 hours trying to find it, which was probably for the best, because we got to explore a lot of the city. I even signed up for a cooking class taught by the chef of that restaurant. (It's called Le Fate and the food was very good). That's all for now, I'll post some pictures soon.

3 comments:

  1. Testing to see if I can figure out how to post a comment!Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Zach. As I told you privately (before I learned how to post a comment), you are an excellent writer, and we are looking forward to following your Roman career. As you have heard, Brian returned from his stay in Italy as a passionate, and superb, cook, much to the distress of my waistline. Now it looks like you have caught the bug (to use a completely inapt metaphor), and we will be avidly awaiting the first taste test after your return. Good luck, and happy learning and enjoying. Rick

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your news is wonderful to read. More, please!

    ReplyDelete