Monday, December 13, 2010

Fall Break: Vienna

What is there to say about Vienna? Besides our incessant use of the Ah-nold accent, Vienna was actually a really good time.

I didn't know this before, but there are magnificent palaces to visit in Vienna. We saw the Schönbrunn Palace, check out facebook for pictures. I don't know much about it, but I do know that it took us about 30 minutes to walk up the courtyard to get close enough to actually walk around the palace. Seriously, these palaces occupy what must be hundreds of acres of land, and it's all completely flat. Needless to say, we walked a lot.

However, I have left out my favorite part of Vienna, the ZOO! Bet my parents didn't think I'd be visiting a zoo in Vienna during my study abroad in Rome, but I did. It was on the way to the palace, and we had heard good things, so we went in. We saw elephants, tigers, lions, all kinds of monkeys, and there was even an aquarium. My favorite was the chimpanzee exhibit; they give the little guys a lot of space, and they swing around on trees like they are actually in the wild. It's fun to watch, they almost look like they are having fun even though they are trapped in a cage and will never know the true freedom of the jungle.

Anyway, that was pretty much all we did in Vienna, we were only there for a few hours on Sunday. We went our to dinner, and made it to the train station for our early evening train. I bet most people figured I would be dead tired and unable to move for days after a trip like this, but our train from Vienna to Rome was 14 hours, all of which was spent comfortable sleeping in my own bed. Ok, comfortably isn't the best word, but I sure did sleep. We made it back to Rome Monday morning and I made it to Italian with just a few minutes to spare. 

This concludes my blog posts about my fall break. I have several more things to write about, hopefully I will get to them before I come home this weekend. I know i have been slacking on my blog, but the work, (and play) has certainly picked up a great deal in the second half of the semester. If i don't get to my blog again before I come home, I'll just have to tell everyone my stories in person. Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment