Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Vatican.

I had hoped to be writing this blog shortly after jumping out of a plane, free falling for a full minute, and then drifting gracefully to the ground. Yes, I was supposed to go skydiving this past weekend, but due to poor weather in the town of Nettuno, (where we were supposed to jump,) we had to postpone our epic leap. Right now I'm planning to go skydiving on November 28th, and if that doesn't work out, I might just rent a plane, throw on a parachute, and jump out on my own. It looks easy enough, right?

Despite my angst about not skydiving this weekend, I did get to see the Vatican, which is pretty noteworthy in my opinion. I had waited to visit the Vatican until my Art of Rome Professor took us there on a site visit, and it was definitely worth the wait. He had previously given us a general lecture on the history and art of the Vatican, so we could be prepared to appreciate the art and history that I was privileged to observe. I say, "could" because I am still working on developing an appreciation for art. I never considered my self to be very conscious or art and art history, so a main motivation in choosing Rome as a place to study was because of the rich history, culture and art that I would be able to see and experience. With each new piece I witness, I still struggle to understand why some people dedicate their lives to understand the meaning behind simple painting and sculptures. I sometimes think that Da Vinci just painted pretty pictures because he enjoyed painting, nothing more, nothing less. Despite my initial naivety, this class, as I hoped, is gradually broadening my horizons and allowing me to at least somewhat understand the value in observing and experiencing art. Most art, it seems, has subversive qualities that were meant to convey some sort of message, and it is left up to the observer to decide the meaning behind that message. Am I ready to forgo my Business Degree for an Art History one? No, but I am certainly beginning to understand the value of art and the important roles it has played in society throughout history.

Anyway, back to what I actually experienced at the Vatican. As I mentioned, my professor accompanied us throughout the Vatican Museum, so we essentially had a private tour guide with whom we already had a comfortable relationship with; we were free to ask questions, and we certainty did. He took us through a majority of the museum over several hours; I saw the sculptures of Apollo Belevedere and the Lacoon Group, the Papal apartments painted by Raphael, and of course, the Sistine Chapel, painted by Michelangelo. Now it almost need not be said that the Sistine Chapel was by far my favorite piece I saw, but I just said it anyway. It is so grand in scale that it is almost indescribable; the paintings are so detailed and vibrant that is is hard to imagine that Michelangelo did not even know how to do fresco paintings when he began the Sistine Chapel. In addition, due to the lecture we had prior to visiting the Vatican, I understood that it took Michelangelo 4 years to paint the ceiling, and another full year, (though 24 years later) to paint the "Last Judgement." Most people, our professor claimed, don't realize that the Sistine Chapel is divided into two major works. The first is the Sistine Ceiling, which is the most recognizable, and portrays nine scenes from the book of Genesis.  "The Last Judgement," situated on the wall behind the altar, is the other, and depicts Jesus and the Saints returning to Earth to bring good souls to Heaven and condemn the sinners to Hell. The Last Judgement was my favorite part of the Sistine Chapal; it covers the entire wall behind the altar, so it is about 3 stories high and 50 feet wide, and it is incredibly complex and detailed. I also liked all the subversion that Michelangelo uses; after all, by time he finished the "Judgment", he was getting old, and not unexpectedly, took a few jabs and people who had snubbed him over the years. For example, a critic of the work, Pope Julius II's master of ceremonies, once stated that "The Last Judgement" "looked suited for a brothel" due to the large amount of nudity. Michelango responded by painting his likeness into the face of the gatekeeper of hell, King Midas, and even features a serpent biting him in the crouch. He also portrays St. Peter, a prominent catholic figure, farther away from Jesus than Bartholomew, as if to condemn the Catholic Church for requiring him to spend years of his life decorating the Sistine Chapel. It's very interesting stuff.

Overall, we spent a good 6 hours in the Vatican Museum, and it wasn't nearly enough time. Having my professor as a tour guide was great, but I still plan on going back on my own to explore even more.There are some pictures on facebook, but unfortunately no pictures are allowed in the Sistine Chapel, so you'll have to look it up on google. That's all for now, my fall break starts tomorrow, so look for one more blog before I go!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Professor: give this guy an A. Insightful comments well written with considerable contextual thought! I am an admiring uncle, so I guess I am not dispassionate.

    Zac: there are major stories here about the collapse of one of the buildings at Pompeii over this past weekend (a gladiatorial training room, I think), and the fears that because of the poor quality of maintenance by the Italian government, there may be more collapses. It sounds like you got to Pompeii just in time.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete